Saturday, November 16, 2019

How I Know Oregon is Home


I know this is home when I see
my soul writ large in the silver nitrate sky
autumn leaf confetti on a wet sidewalk
a collage of flame and gold
sprinkled with droplet worlds

I know this is home when I hear
the forest breathing in the Easter dawn
the sweeping cataract’s roar 
the bird-trill in spring and crow-caw in fall
and God’s hushed presence in the heart of the forest

I know this is home when I feel
rain’s mist on my cheeks
brisk air on November’s eve
my well-watered soul taking root

I know this is home when I smell
  life in loam-fed moss
  renewal in decaying fir-trees
  a thousand-years of springtime in a mountain-born stream

I know this is home when I taste
  ions in the air
  the dark, steaming presence of coffee on a chill morning
  and friendship delivered in a pot of home-made soup




No comments:

Post a Comment